June 12 to August 8, 2015*
* See the Program Schedule page for a more detailed itinerary, including information regarding travel to and from the program site.
Duke Study in China (DSIC) was inaugurated in 1982. It is one of the longest-running credit-granting programs in China administered by an American university. The program offers an intensive (two credits for eight weeks of study) summer language program based in Beijing.
The eight-week Duke in China summer language program is based at the prestigious University of International Business and Economics in Beijing (UIBE). UIBE is located in the Chaoyang District of Beijing, which is convenient to downtown, and has a modern, well-designed, picturesque campus.
Rated as one of the top universities in China according to the Ministry of Education, UIBE, which was founded in 1951, is an academic institution with a reputation for excellence in teaching and research in the fields of international trade, business and economics. UIBE has become a national first-rank multi-disciplinary comprehensive university in the fields of economics, finance, management, law teaching and researches under the leadership of the Ministry of Education.
UIBE is also one of the first universities in China to have initiated academic exchanges with foreign academic institutions. Currently UIBE has exchange programs with over 100 universities and institutes from more than 30 countries or regions over the world, such as, America, Canada, Britain, Germany, France, Finland, Japan, Korea, Australia, New Zealand, Russia, and so on.
Beijing, which was the site of the summer 2008 Olympics, features many sites of interest to students in the program:
* The Forbidden City is the world's largest and best-preserved imperial palace complex. Surrounded by a moat that is six meters deep and a ten-meter high wall, the palace contains 9,999 rooms.
* Beihai Park was probably built by the Great Khan centuries earlier than the Forbidden City. This park was enjoyed by the various rulers of China for hundreds of years and features pavilions and architecturally interesting walkways.
* The Summer Palace is a famous classic imperial garden with northern floristry skillfully blended into the exquisite delicacy of the southern gardening.
* Tiananmen Square is not only the symbol of Beijing but also the symbol of China. This immense courtyard is the site of many historic events.
* The Great Wall is one of the eight wonders of the world.