Duke University : Global Education for Undergraduates


Frequently Asked Questions

Are there eligibility requirements? How do students receive credit for their coursework abroad? Is it one course to one course in all programs? 

Each program has its own eligibility requirements that must be met, in addition to our minimum GPA. If the course students want credit for is in the GEO Database of Approved Courses they don't need to apply for additional approval. If the course is not in the database, they will need to contact in the GEO to request assistance obtaining DUS course approval. This should be done before going abroad. Several departments require approval directly from the department. There is not always a 1-for-1-course equivalency. We expect a student to take a "full load" abroad. This often means taking five courses, which, if all are successfully completed, can count towards major, minor and curriculum requirements, but only four courses will count towards graduation.

I've heard that I will only get 2 credits for non-Duke study abroad programs, instead of 4 for the Duke-in programs. Is this the case?

No. There is a two course limit is for domestic transfer credit for Trinity students. Pratt students may transfer up to four domestic courses. For study abroad, or a combination of study abroad and domestic transfer, the total can't exceed ten. This would allow a student a full year plus a summer of study abroad in approved programs. If they study on a Duke administered (Duke-in) program, generally they earn Duke credit, so the transfer limit doesn't apply--they aren't transferring courses. Exceptions to this are Duke in Glasgow, Duke in Berlin (second semester) and Duke in France-EDUCO, which are "hybrid" programs in which students receive a combination of Duke credits and transfer credits.

Can I earn credit in my major abroad?

Yes. Students who study on Duke-administered programs earn Duke credit just as if they were on campus. These courses fulfill the same requirements as courses on campus. Students who study on Duke-approved programs should consult the Director of Undergraduate Studies in their major department to find out if, and how many, transfer credits may be applied towards their major. More information about credits and course coding can be found in Grades/Transfer Credit.

Can I fulfill my foreign language competency abroad?

Yes, on a Duke-administered or Duke-approved program in a country where the target language is spoken (i.e. French in France or Senegal, Spanish in Spain or Argentina). Students studying language on a Duke-approved program will have to request foreign language coding for their language courses taken abroad, just as they would have to request Modes of Inquiry coding for any transfer course. For more information, please visit Grades/Transfer Credit.

Am I eligible for Dean's List during the semester I study abroad?

This varies from program to program. To determine whether you are eligible to earn recognition for honors like Dean's List while participating in a study abroad program, consult the Duke Bulletin under Academic Recognition and Honors at http://www.registrar.duke.edu/bulletins/Undergraduate/ or your academic dean.

Do I register on DukeHub for the semester I'm going abroad?

With the exception of summer programs, students attending Duke-administered programs will register through the Global Education Office, not on DukeHub. Students attending non-Duke programs will register for courses on their program. If a student's registration window opens, and they have not yet been accepted for study abroad, they should register for courses (through DukeHub) on campus. Those courses can then be dropped once acceptance to study abroad is received.

Don't I have to be a language major, or speak another language to study abroad?

No. The opportunities for year, semester or summer study are diverse enough to meet the needs of virtually any undergraduate's course of study. Study abroad is not limited to language majors or those with knowledge of foreign languages; Duke sponsors and has identified programs providing language training as well as programs taught in English in many countries. Programs are available offering courses in humanities, social sciences, and sometimes science and engineering.

Can students participate in a study abroad program in a foreign speaking country, but have the courses taught in English?

Yes. But if they participate in such a program during the semester, they are required to take one course in the host country language.

Do I have to declare my major by a certain deadline in order to study abroad?

Trinity students will no longer be required to declare a major before spending a semester abroad/away; however, students are still required to declare a major in the spring of their sophomore year, which means that students wishing to study abroad/away in the 4th semester should declare their major before they leave.

Sophomores are strongly encouraged (but are not required) to declare their major by the Early Declaration Deadline (the end of the third full week of the semester) if they want to study abroad as juniors. Early Declaration will result in the transfer of your academic file to your new department before you make final plans to study abroad, giving you enough time to meet with your major advisor to ensure that whatever courses you take while abroad will keep you on track for graduation

Is study abroad a question that should come up in the first meeting with my pre-major advisor in September of my freshman year, or can it be decided on a spontaneous basis during my sophomore year?

It is best to discuss the possibility of study abroad at the first meeting. Planning for the experience to complement the academic plan is easiest if incorporated early in the process. Nevertheless, if it is an issue that arises in later discussions, it generally still can be accommodated.

Is there a minimum GPA for study abroad?

Duke requires that students who wish to study abroad for a semester or academic year have a minimum GPA of 2.7; for summer study abroad, you must meet the academic requirements for continuation at Duke. Many programs, however, require that students have a 3.0 minimum, and can have quite competitive applicant pools.

How can I find out what programs offer what classes?

The Global Education website includes a list of all the approved programs, with links to those programs that generally include the academic courses available. Another resource is the Database of Approved Courses on the Global Education website. This lists courses that have been approved and is searchable by department, country, and program. This is NOT a comprehensive list of available courses. It represents only those courses that have been approved. Additional courses can be approved by working with in the GEO. She works in conjunction with department DUSes to obtain course approvals.

Can I fulfill my sciences and study abroad?

Yes. There are programs and locations with science classes, as well as science themes. Students may take science classes abroad. They should discuss their interests and options with a study abroad advisor.

  • Machu Picchu