Types of Credit

As you select your study away program, it's important to understand which type of credit you'll earn upon completion of the program. Study away programs offer Duke credit, transfer credit, or a hybrid of both Duke and transfer credit.

Duke Credit

Just like a class on Duke’s Durham campus

Study away courses issuing Duke credit are designed to be as rigorous as a course on Duke’s campus. These courses are offered on Duke-In programs, which are administered and supervised by Duke University, either fully or in partnerships with other institutions, and Duke faculty are directly involved.

In study away courses that offer Duke credit:

  • You earn Duke grades that are factored into your GPA.
  • Courses count towards graduation, just like a class on the Durham campus would.
  • Courses count towards your major, minor, or certificate just like any Duke class would.
  • You can earn Modes of Inquiry and Areas of Knowledge codes.
  • You can earn the FL Mode of Inquiry code.
  • Your grades are considered in determining your eligibility for academic honors and recognition such as Dean’s List.

Transfer Credit

    The courses you take on study away for transfer credit are added to your record upon your return, so long as you follow the instructions for getting a course approved and reconciling your transfer credit:

    Get a Course Approved

    Reconcile Transfer Credit

    In study away courses offering transfer credit:

    • You must take courses for grades and earn the U.S. equivalent of a C– or higher, but grades are NOT factored into your Duke GPA and do not appear on your transcript.
    • Courses will appear on your transcript in accordance with the type of approval granted for the course, either as the course's direct Duke equivalent or as a departmental elective.
    • Courses may count towards graduation.
    • Courses may count towards your major, minor, or certificate. 

    Hybrid Credit Structure

    What is a hybrid credit structure?

    Some Duke-In semester programs are designed with a hybrid credit structure. This means students will enroll in a mix of Duke courses and courses offered at foreign universities, and, as a result, will earn a mix of Duke credit and transfer credit on the program.

    • Duke Credits: The Duke courses on the program will be counted as full Duke credits with Duke numbers, full curricular code eligibility, and final grades that count in the GPA.
    • Transfer Credits: All courses offered by the host university/universities will convey to the Duke transcript as transfer credits, provided the U.S. equivalent of a C– or higher is earned in the course. For these courses only, grades will not count in the Duke GPA.

    Which programs have a hybrid credit structure?

    The courses you take for transfer credit on these programs are added to your record upon your return, so long as you follow the instructions for getting a course approved and reconciling your transfer credit:

    Get a Course Approved 

    Reconcile Transfer Credit

    Institutional Transfer Credit

    GEO does not oversee institutional transfer credit. Institutional transfer credit is earned when you enroll on your own at another four-year college or university in or outside of the United States, and as such, you are not engaged in a Duke-approved study away program.

    See: Trinity Policy on Institutional Transfer Credit

    Transfer Students

    If you are a transfer student to Duke University, you must consult your academic dean to determine whether you will be able to graduate on time by earning additional transfer credits from study away.