Win up to $300 for your study away photos!
GEOReflects challenges students to examine their time studying away from Duke by bridging artistic expression and educational experience. Through photography and short written pieces, GEOReflects encourages students to use their study abroad/study away experience to develop a deeper understanding of other cultures and of themselves.
Winners will be notified via email on March 1 and then publicly announced on the GEO Facebook page.
- Best in Category: Self-Awareness - $300.
Reflections of a personal nature
- Best in Category: Cultural Perspective - $300
Reflections on host culture and/or your own
- Best in Category: Academic Experience - $300
Reflections on academics and learning
- People's Choice Award - $200
Across all categories, the entry with the most Facebook likes as of 9:00 am EST on March 1.
Prepare Your Entries
Any current Duke student who is participating or has participated in a program through the Global Education Office is eligible to participate.
- Entries accepted through February 15. Entries received after 11:59 pm EST on February 15 will not be judged.
- For an entry to be considered complete, it must include: a title, a high-resolution photograph, a 100-200 word written reflection, and a designated contest category.
- Each student may submit up to (6) entries total, with a limit of (2) entries per category.
- Photographs must have been taken during a program arranged through the Duke Global Education Office for Undergraduates.
- Photos and writing must be your own work. If you appear in the photo but you did not take the photo yourself, you are responsible for obtaining the photographer's permission to enter the photo in the contest.
- Photographs should be high-resolution originals. Low quality or blurry images downloaded from blogs and social media may be disqualified.
- File formats accepted include JPG, PNG, and GIF.
Judging of Best in Category awards will be an interdisciplinary effort. The Global Education Office will appoint two student judges from the Global Education Student Committee. Additional judges will be selected from campus partners such as the Directors of Academic Engagement for Global & Civic Opportunities, Duke Global, International House, etc.
What makes a good entry?
While it's not an official requirement that photos show people, past winners have consistently submitted entries about students engaging in their experience. Humans like human stories – keep that in mind! Your photo and the accompanying written reflection are considered a package. Compelling entries use the strength of each medium and communicate a relationship between the photograph and your thoughts.
The contest seeks work that creatively conveys your study away experience in relation to three categories:
- Self-Awareness: Reflections of a personal nature
- Cultural Perspective: Reflections on host culture and/or your own
- Academic Experience: Reflections on academics and learning
What was it like to be a student in another culture? Think about how your ideas, opinions, perceptions, or knowledge changed as a result of studying away. What surprised you about the experience? What aspect of the experience stuck with you the most? What photo brings back the strongest memories? Tell us about it with your photos and writing!
People's Choice Award
Voting for the People's Chioce Award will begin as soon as qualified entries are posted to the GEO Facebook GEOReflects 2018 Contest Photo Album. Contestants will receive an email notification when entries are up.
It usually takes 1-3 business days after the contest deadline to process the entries, evaluate any disqualifications, and post everything to our Facebook album.
People's Choice voting closes on March 1 at 9:00 am EST.
By participating in the GEOReflects contest, you authorize Duke University to use your photos for official University communication and publicity campaigns related to global education opportunities.
Please contact email@example.com.
Entries must be received by February 15 at 11:59 pm EST to be eligible.