Use Your Financial Aid to Study Away
Duke has established robust financial aid programs to support students' global academic endeavors. Duke financial aid, as well as federal financial aid, can be used to study away. An estimated 40% of students who study abroad each year are on financial aid.
Consult the Karsh Office of Undergraduate Financial Support for details specific to your situation.
TYPES OF AID FOR STUDY AWAY
- Non-Duke Students
Semester Study Away Programs
- Available to undergraduate Duke students already receiving federal or institutional aid for study on the Durham campus.
- Both federal and institutional aid is fully portable.
- For those on institutional need-based grant aid, work-study funds are converted to grants.
Semester Duke-In Programs: Your family contribution will remain the same as a semester on campus, even if the budgeted cost of your program is more expensive.
Semester Duke-Approved Programs (including petition): Your family contribution will remain the same, provided the cost of the program doesn’t exceed the cost of a semester at Duke.
Graduate students are NOT eligible for financial aid for study abroad/away.
Summer Study Away Programs
Summer Duke-In Programs
- There is no separate summer financial aid application.
- If you qualify for institutional need-based grant aid during the academic year, you may be eligible to receive financial aid for up to two Duke-In summer study abroad programs (and/or summer sessions in Durham.)
- To determine if you are eligible for summer aid, please refer to The Karsh Office of Undergraduate Financial Support website.
Summer Duke-Approved Programs: No institutional aid is provided.
Financial aid for summer study away cannot be applied to a summer abroad program taken prior to matriculation or after graduation from Duke. Graduate students are NOT eligible for financial aid for study abroad/away.
Non-Duke students are not eligible for financial aid through Duke University. All non-Duke students should consult the financial aid office at their home institutions to apply for aid.
For specific details about the financial aid process for undergraduate students on study away, visit the Duke Karsh Office of Undergraduate Financial Support Office webpage:
For assistance, please contact:
Karsh Office of Undergraduate Financial Support
2127 Campus Drive, Annex
P.O. Box 90397
Durham, NC 27708