GEO ADVISING OVERVIEW
GEO advisors are here to help you figure out study abroad/away and to prepare you for your program. You can meet with an advisor anytime in your four years, and you can come in for an appointment as many times as you need.
Common topics students discuss with GEO advisors:
- Choosing a Program
- Academics and Course Credits
- Research Opportunities (undergrad)
- Fitting In
- Health and Wellness
- Safety and Security
Is study away advising required?
Meeting with a GEO advisor is required to petition a program. Advising is also required for all semester Oxford programs and for IES Madrid: Engineering, Architecture, & Science. Advising is recommended for all other programs, both Duke-In and Duke-Approved.
Please schedule an appointment online using the link below each Advisor’s photo.
WHICH GEO ADVISOR DO I CHOOSE?
Question 1: Is finding an academic internship or research opportunity on study away your primary objective?
- YES – Begin your advising with Hayley Broadhead. Hayley's specialization is academic internships and undergraduate research opportunities on study away programs.
- MAYBE – If you are interested in internships and research opportunities on study away, but you wouldn't say it is your primary objective right now, proceed to Question 2. You can schedule an internship/research-specific advising appointment at a later time.
- NO – Proceed to Question 2.
Question 2: Have you narrowed down your study away program choices by geographic region?
- YES – Book an appointment with the advisor assigned to your region of interest. If you are seriously comparing two or more programs in regions assigned to different advisors, we recommend booking separate appointments with each advisor.
- NO – For assistance exploring your options based on criteria other than geographic region, please book a general advising appointment with Abigail Grubbs or come to drop-in advising with a GEO Peer Advisor.
GEO Peer Advising Option
Just getting started with your research into study away? GEO Peer Advisors can walk you through how it all works, and show you which parts of the website apply to you.
No appointment necessary.
Study away advising appointments are 30 minutes long and are held in Smith Warehouse, Bay 6, second floor.
Save Your Confirmation Email: You will receive a confirmation email with your appointment details. If you need to cancel or reschedule, use the link in your confirmation email to manage your appointment.
Cancellation: If you cannot make your confirmed appointment, please let us know. Either manage your appointment using the link in your confirmation email, or send an email directly to your GEO advisor. You may also call 919-684-2174 to cancel.
Late Policy: GEO advisors are not able to meet with students who arrive more than 10 minutes late to their scheduled appointment. If you are running late, please call 919-684-2174 to let us know.
PREP FOR YOUR APPOINTMENT
Make the most of your 30-minute time slot by looking over these handouts before you arrive. If you come in with a basic understanding of study away, you'll be able to ask more specific questions and get customized advice for your individual needs and goals.
- All Programs
- UK & Ireland
GEO has prepared an Application Guide for each of the four types of programs available. The guide summarizes the application process and all the important documents you'll need along the way.
Semester Study Away: Course Credit Basics
Learn how credit earned on a semester study away program factors into progress towards graduation.
UK & Ireland
UK and Ireland Duke-Approved Semester Programs FAQ
This handout is a thorough tool to help you prepare but is not meant to replace an advising appointment. You will benefit the most if you book an advising appointment, and review this information in advance.
For academic advisors
Are you an academic advisor?
If you are in a position to advise students – either formally or informally, at Duke or at another university – you are bound to come across questions about study abroad or study away. Check out our collection of resources for Academic Advisors to find answers to common student questions.